Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
1 posts
62 visits

Police harassment: This is a recent e-mail to me concerning police harassment-- Hello, So far I am

Brighan started this conversation
This is a recent e-mail to me concerning police harassment--


So far I am still dealing with a four-year-old in the house and full time work is hard to come by here in Minnesota. I have two degrees in criminal justice and paralegal, in which case I am not an attorney but should you need one I need more information from you.

However, without knowing your son’s name and birthdate I will not be able to look into the background history of your son without your help. All information is confidential between you and I. I need to know what State you live in because most States have court information online while other States you must obtain copies from the courthouse.

Different states have different laws and principles, but I am certain that if your son has to take any medication prescribed by a physician should have no bearing whether the police had probable cause to stop him or not. Quite honestly, if the police had several run ins with your son while he is running around with known criminals or drug dealer then the police are going to “suspect” that your son is also a criminal by association.

I had the same problem growing up in Albert Lea, MN and I moved to the Twin Cities to solve my problem. The change of scenery and meeting different people solved my problem. If you live in a small town then I suggest for your son to move away where he is not the bread and butter for the justice system there. Another way to deal with this is to file a formal complaint with the police citizens review board or other police review board in your area, and/or contact the public defenders office for help.

The sad fact is that it is very difficult to discredit a police officer while in office hiding behind his or her “shield.” In which case, you may have to file a civil lawsuit against the police officers involved with your son’s harassment. The burden of proof can be shown by the preponderance of the evidence you collected. Be sure that you get copies of all arrest reports, police notes, or whatever shows up.

In addition, I found this article published on

How Can I Stop the Police From Harassing Me?

Hans Fredrick
Hans Fredrick has been busy in the online writing world since 2005. He has written on diverse topics ranging from career advice for actors to tips for motorcycle maintenance. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Saskatchewan.

By Hans Fredrick, eHow Contributor
Most police have good intentions, but there are exceptions. Unjustified harassment from the police is a frightening and unsettling experience. It is important that people know what their rights are when it comes to dealing with the police. Ultimately, police are trying to do a job and keep the general populace safe, however, at times they go beyond the boundaries of their job and conduct harassing behavior. If you feel like you are being harassed by the police, you have to become active in trying to stop it.


Learn your rights. Contact the local police department and ask them what rights you have when dealing with a police officer. For example, in most instances you have the right to ask for identification and the officer's name. This provides you with some security in the case of harassment. You also cannot be interrogated without the option of having a lawyer present. If a police officer tries to intimidate you into thinking otherwise, you may be a victim of police harassment.

File a formal complaint with the local police department. Visit the website for the local police department and check the section regarding police complaints, or the frequently asked questions portion of the website. Follow the procedures for how to contact the department to file a complaint.

Sponsored Links

Lookup Public Records
Did You Know Anyone's Public Records Can Be Viewed Online?
Document everything. Note any dates when you are contacted by the police and document what was said to you during that time. Keep records of written communication between the police and yourself. The more diligent you are about documentation, the stronger a case you will have.

Contact a lawyer. When dealing with the police it can be difficult to know what your rights are, because obviously those harassing you are not going to want to help you. Seek professional legal advice from someone qualified to inform you of what your options are regarding further harassment.

Press formal charges. If police are harassing you, and your legal counsel confirms to you that they are breaking the law, then you should have your lawyer press formal charges against the officers in question. Police have laws that they have to follow to, and people should stand up and hold them accountable if those laws are broken.

Sponsored Links
Public Arrest Records
1) Enter Name - Search Free! 2) Instant & Accurate Verification
Lookup Public Records
1) Enter Any Name and State. 2) See Their Full Public Records.
Criminal Records Online
1) Enter Name - Search Free! 2) Get a Criminal Background Check.
Police Procedures Expert
Michael D. Lyman, Ph.D. 30 years experience
Tips & Warnings
Don't get angry with police who appear to be harassing you. If you are perceived as threatening the police in any way, they will be free to charge you and you will be found in the wrong. If you appear to be resisting or angry, they will also be within their rights to physically subdue you. It will be much harder to enforce any charges or complaints after such an occurrence.

Read more: How Can I Stop the Police From Harassing Me? |

Click here to add your comment...